Saturday, September 20, 2008

My first event in USA...

Today I went to the International Fall Festival, and its really suprise me with all the different cultures in United States of America(USA). The event was took place in the Barstow Street, downtown of Eau Claire. When I first walked in the Barstow Street I saw two people were "fighting" with sword in their hands. This two people was dress up like the war time soldier, which I usually only saw in the movies. This is the first time I see people playing fencing right in front of me, and this is also the first time I see it in real. It really suprise me. Then me and my other two friends keep "discovering". As we walked down the street, we saw a lot of stalls at two side of the street. Not only that, there is a stage where people are playing and singing the country music, and I love the music they play very much. We also saw the place where there are a lot of animals and people can feed the animals by paying some money to buy the food for the animals. After that, we saw a lot of native people selling their cultural stuff, such as cloth, and jewelry. Not only that, there are a lot of stalls selling foods, drinks, and etc. There was something that catch my attention while we on the way "hunt" for our lunch. It were two cars; two cars that I only saw in the animation. I can't remember whats the tittle of the animation but my friend and I took a picture of it. Not long after that, I meet my host family. I was so happy to see them around cos I got few weeks didn't meet them already, and I missed them so much. After some talked with my host fmily, we keep discovering, we each bought some foods, drinks, ice-creams, and Sushi. When we finished our meal, we found that it was almost the time for the parade. Once again we meet up with my host family, and we sat beside the street to wait for the parade. We were getting so excited when we saw our home country's flag, and we cheer so loud for it. The people in parade keep threwing some candies to the people that watching the parade. There were few kids around us, and they were getting so "crazy" while the people were threwing the candies, and this scenes make us laugh a lots. Finally, when the parade finished, we were get ready to come back to our university. After I say goodbye to my host family, my friends and I walked back to our dorm. We each bought something in this event. I bought myself some bookmarks, and a necklace. Although the whole event is quite similar to what we called "night market" in my country, but still I saw someting different in it. This was the first event after a month I'm here in USA and I enjoyed a lots for learning some of the culturals here.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

That's great that you got to go to this festival and explore all the different cultures. I actually had not heard of it but it sounds so interesting I might have to try and go next time! It also is really fun for me to see things in person like the sword-fighting people you were talking about or the music you were listening to. Festivals are a lot of fun to go to since there is so much happening but also this one seemed extra special for you with all the cultural ties it had. I look forward to reading more of you adventures!

Karuna said...

Chloe~ I miss you!
Great to see you starting a blog. And glad that you're having a lot of fun there! =)
Continue blogging ya! Don't stop =)

Archangelz said...

Wow.. great experience you're having eeh.. Wichita is not as happening as Eau Claire apparently.. Its just a slow-paced, peaceful city... How I wish I could participate in a festival as described in your article.. And wow, You've even got pictures togethe with the article.. I see you took photo with one of the warriors dueling with sword eeh.. Haha.. Is that a real sword or just props? Take carez.. Gonna dive back to my world of assignments and mugging.. >.<

Professor Johnson said...

Chloe,

I'm glad that Yin is happy you started blogging!

It was great to read about your impressions of the International Festival. When I saw your picture with the big guy I was wondering where you were to get that picture. Now I know.

Hey Archangelz, are you an international student in Wichita? It just so happens that my daughter lives there!!! They do have some things that Eau Claire doesn't.......like cowboys!

avi said...

hey it was really nice to hear wat all happened in the festival. unfortunately i was not in eau-claire that weekend but i guess there is always a next time for eveything. but i have to say i missed the event.